February 28, 2009

Noah Ford - Around the World With My Parents

DSC00470While sitting in a hotel in Ubud, Bali, Indonesia on a rainy afternoon, Jennifer and I approached Noah with an idea. We felt that people would be interested in his view of traveling around the world. Our suggestion that he write a post on the subject was turned down, but he did agree to being interviewed. The conditions of the interview were that we couldn't suggest answers and that we would publish the interview word for word. We agreed to these conditions, so here is Noah's interview about traveling around the world with his parents.
100_17231. When your parents first brought up the idea of going on a trip around the world, what did you think?
Noah:  I thought, no way. I will miss basketball. Who takes a trip around the world?
2. Did you think that they would follow through with the trip?
Noah:  Not at all.
DSC017173. What has surprised you the most about the trip?
Noah:  How much more developed things really are than I thought. How other countries are catching up with America. Also, that everyone has a cell phone.
4. Have you missed your friends?
From the beginning of the trip until the beginning of Chile, that is when I missed them the most. After that, I started getting used to this whole trip thing and missing them less. And then, starting about now, I am easing into going back to see my friends.
DSC031725. What are some of the "low-lights" of traveling around the world?
Like the sleeping in a hotel for 3 nights, pack, move, repeat. And then not having home cooked meals. No Chipotle. Not getting to see your friends. If you get to know people, you just say goodbye to them within a week, at most.
6. How did you keep in contact with your friends?
Through our Skype phone, Myspace and texting through email. It has really helped to keep in touch with my friends so that it can be a smooth transition getting back.
7. In what ways were you homesick?
The house itself. The memories that I have had there. The lake. Home cooked meals. The JetSki.
DSC06340 8. What was it like traveling with your parents?
Sometimes it can be helpful, but sometimes it can be frustrating. Like when you want to have one of your friends to express your feelings to tell them about how unfair sometimes and frustrating your parents are. But then all you have around is them so you can’t let it go. It makes traveling a lot more easy since my parents planned most of the trip in comparison to traveling alone where you can forget something like your passport and they will find it.
DSC05040 9. What were some of your favorite sights?
Machu Picchu in Peru, Valle Nevado for skiing and Torres del Paines National Park in Chile, Moreno Glacier and Puerto Madryn for Penguins, Sea Lions, and whales and Iguazu Falls in Argentina, Table Mountain and Kruger National Park in South Africa, beautiful beaches on Zanzibar, the Giza Pyramids and Abu Simbel in Egypt, the Old City in Israel, Petra in Jordan, seeing a 7 star hotel in the UAE, Taj Mahal in India, island / mountain / beaches of Koh Chang in Thailand, Angkor Wat in Cambodia, Halong Bay in Vietnam and the beautiful jungles in Indonesia. And we still have Australia and Fiji left.
10. Have you lost anything while traveling around the world? If yes, what?
Yes, I have lost the following items: a watch, an Apple Valley baseball hat, a hat with a built-in light, a pair of pants, cell phone memory card, a belt, multiple pens, and other items that I don’t even remember. That’s all.
RSCN2296 11. Tell us about making it to the summit of Mt Kilimanjaro.
It was shocking enough myself doing it, especially without my parents. It was a great feat and felt good to accomplish. Thinking about it 3 months later, it seems like years ago.
12. What is your favorite country? Why?
It is hard to say. It would be a three way tie between South Africa, Thailand, and Argentina. Argentina was so consistent no matter where you went and the beef was great. You know you were going to be surprised and have a great time. South Africa is beautiful with lots of things to do. Cape Town is my favorite city. You’ve got mountains, animal safaris, wineries (for my parents), and great people. Thailand has the nicest people on our whole trip and Bangkok is one of my favorite cities along with Koh Chang being my favorite beach place. Also the food of Thailand is great.
DSC04825 13. Was it difficult to find food that you liked to eat?
In South America, I really didn’t try the local food because I just didn’t want to leave home food and I was pretty picky. I just ate pizza. Tanzania was probably the hardest place to find food that I liked. It was basically leftovers. Middle Eastern food was my favorite. I really liked the pita, hummus, and shwarma. Indian food had lots of ups and downs, especially in my stomach. All Southeastern Asia food is good.
14. What is the first thing that you will do when you get home?
Get a group of friends together and have a sleep-over at one of their houses at midnight when I get home.
DSCN6448 15. Would you recommend a trip like this for other kids your age? Why?
Yes, because it shows them that the rest of the world is safe and there is lots to see and people to meet. It matures people and shows them the real world and not the things that you see on the news.
16. Final thoughts?
The trip has been very good. I don’t regret going on the trip. We have seen so many sights and met so many nice people. But, there are times when you feel like you want to go home but then there are those times where you couldn’t think of going home. Looking back on this trip when I am older will give me great memories.
To see a slide show of Noah's favorite photos to date, click on the following link ==> Noah Ford's Favorites Slide Show

No comments: